Tuesday, May 27, 2008

APC, Mobile Power Pack

I didn't keep my promise as of the time of this posting, but I have more than a month now with my APC and have a better opinion about it. My new gadget is - as the title says - a mobile power pack. The most common problem I anticipated while on the move lately, was the power supply. This comes especially critical when I am using my iPhone as one-for all: phone, browser and ipod. As I was looking around in the market, I came across several solutions but the most attractive to me was the one I finally got: APC.

Functionality: APC comes with minimum ports - as it is supposed to be for something of this kind. It has a micro USB for charging the Lithium-Polymer power pack inside it and a normal USB port for charging your devices. It has also a convenient indicator with LED, giving you the remaining charge at the press of a button. The same button also activates the device after long period of not being used. Charging is easy and can be done either by plugging into any home plug, car adapter for USB or by any USB port of your laptop or desktop.

Design:
although this is not the primary concern of such a device, an attractive design is always welcome. Especially when you would like to use it somewhere in public for charging your latest cool gadget - i.e. iPhone (?) - it can't be looking like a Chinese plastic soap pocket! APC, is cool, sleek and a perfect match to your cool gadgets! It has a normal size (a little wider but shorter than iPhone - I guess around the size of an old 30GB ipod), a nice lacquered black finish, at an overall minimalistic smooth design.

Performance:
since none of us will but this just to show it around, it is important to know if it works! First of all the APC can be used for any device that can be powered by USB port (with exception of Sony-Ericsson phones, but this is a pending issue for me). I used it perfectly with my iPhone and with my Serenata (yes.. from B&O and Samsung... to be reviewed) giving around two full charges to iphone with a full charge of APC (this is estimated ofcourse cause I never let my iphone to drain totally from power and I get more than two charges). Secondly I can carry it around most of time and be practically secure that I will always have power to my primary at least device - since who wants to carry all those cables around too?

Issues: from using it for the last month or so, I have a couple of issues to complain about. One is the cables that have to carry (so I only bring my iphone's one in most of cases). I am sure it can be solved with expandable w/multiple adapters solutions I have met out there, but still didn't find it important enough to go and get one of them. Second is SonyEricsson issue: none of my three SE phones that i tried could charge through the standard PC USB cable that comes with them. In fact I am not sure this is the phone or cable problem but still is a drawback. APC mentions that I should use the APC branded cables to ensure compatibility - but I can't find them & after all it should be a universal solution.

Overall, APC mobile power pack is a good solution for those looking for such a device, and it will bring you loads of power for those GB of music to keep playing or for not letting your phone out of battery at the most inconvenient time and it does it in style!

1 comment:

nikoZ said...

Hey dude, sounds interesting.
I suggest you add a photo of the gadget (a picture is worth a million words - so that I don't have to google it. Also, price. How much did you pay for it?
Keep it up (spending all your money on gadgets so that we can read all about them ;-)